The organizers of the Canadian truckers“Freedom Convoy” held its first press conference on Sunday and banned mainstream media from attending.
“We have omitted some news agencies from this press conference, including the Toronto Star and the CBC who are banned from this press conference. And the reason they were banned is twofold,” one of the organizers said. , Benjamin Dichter, during the press conference.
“First of all, all this week the CBC, the Toronto Star – Yahoo News was retweeting and reposting with a few others – kept posting stories that our GoFundMe had been frozen or suspended for nefarious reasons. You know , the “right-wing truckers”, the “dangerous people”, and it was hysterical.”
CANADIAN NEWS HOST CLAIMED FOR SUGGESTING RUSSIA BEHIND MASSIVE ‘FREEDOM’ TRUCKER PROTEST
Reports began circulating last week that the GoFundMe page for “Freedom Convoy 2022” had been frozen and organizers were to explain how the millions of dollars in funds raised would be spent.
Dichter explained that when outlets such as the Toronto Sun reported the account was frozen, he reached out to fellow organizer Tamara Lich to see if everything was okay and found GoFundMe to be helpful.
NOVA SCOTIA OUTLAWS SUPPORT ON HIGHWAY FOR ‘FREEDOM’ TRUCKER DAYS AFTER MASS PROTEST
“And she’s like, ‘I just hung up on them 45 minutes ago. They’re awesome. They’re helping. Everything’s going to be sorted,'” he shared of their conversation.
He called the report “purely just a fake story” that was “probably” working to “sabotage the donations that were coming in”.
A GoFundMe spokesperson told Fox Digital on Monday that the organizers had provided a detailed plan for how the funds would be spent and that $1 million had been withdrawn for their efforts. The spokesperson added that the company will continue to work with the organizers regarding the release of the remaining funds.
CANADIAN VACCINES MANDATE FOR “FREEDOM” MASSIVE PROTEST CONVOY MAY BEAT WORLD RECORD
The Freedom Convoy of truckers left Vancouver for Ottawa on January 23 to protest the vaccination mandates for cross-border truckers and calls for an end coronavirus restrictions. The convoy arrived in Ottawa this weekend and was joined by thousands of other Canadians protesting the warrants.
The CBC, a government-funded Canadian news agency, also faced backlash and mockery over the weekend after a news anchor suggested Russia was behind the very protest. popular.
“I ask the question because, given Canada’s support for Ukraine, in this current crisis with Russia, I don’t know if it’s too much to ask,” he added. CBC host Nil Koksal said On Friday, Public Security Minister Marco Mendicino.
“But there are fears that Russian actors will continue to fuel things as this protest grows. But maybe even instigating it from the start.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Koksal’s remarks sparked a torrent of criticism and mockery on Twitter, with people criticizing the current state of the media and liberals for focusing on “Russia, Russia, Russia”.